I just want to say I love, LOVE sandwiches! And this one has become one of my very favorites lately… I want to encourage you to try it! (under 350 calories!)
You will need
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (123 calories)
- 1/2 to 1 Zucchini (depending on the size and sliced in half length wise) (2 calories)
- 1 Thin Sandwich Bun (both slices) (100 calories)
- 1 oz. Queso panela or fresh mozzarella (optional) (70 calories)
- 2 slices of red tomato (10 calories)
- 2 thick slices of white onion (or more if you prefer) (11 calories)
- washed fresh spring mix salad (spinach, arugula, romaine lettuce and stuff like that) (6 calories)
- Salt, pepper and prepared yellow mustard to taste. (just watch the sodium – 3 calories)
– Rub the zucchini with 1/2 tbsp. of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
– In a medium non-stick pan heat the remaining olive oil at med-high heat, once it’s hot add the zucchini (the inside down first) and the onions on the side, let the zucchini brown (without turning) for about 2 minutes (don’t let it burn, check, it should be a dark brown). Turn the heat down to med and turn the zucchini to cook the outside too, (you can stir the onions on the side to caramelize, add more olive oil only if needed), cook until the zucchini has browned and is tender crisp. (not mushy, not hard).
– Transfer the Zucchini and onions to a plate that has been lined with paper towel to remove the excess of oil.
– Assemble the sandwich, add mustard to the buns, then add the zucchini, mozzarella (or panela) on top of it, then the onions, tomato and spring mix leaves on top)
Enjoy! TRUST ME when I say it is DELICIOUS! You can make it your own by adding/removing things… you can use red onion (uncooked) instead of the cooked white onion, or add avocado or omit the cheese, just LEAVE that zucchini alone 😉
The Thin Lady Inside